Theory for ethnomusicology : histories, conversations, insights / edited by Harris M. Berger and Ruth M. Stone.
- Second edition.
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
xi, 242 pages ; 27 cm
- "[This] book examines key intellectual movements and topic areas in social and cultural theory, and explores the way they have been taken up in ethnomusicological research. New co-author Harris M. Berger and Ruth M. Stone investigate the discipline's past, present, and future, reflecting on contemporary concerns while cataloging significant developments since the publication of the first edition in 2008. A dozen contributors approach a broad range of theoretical topics alive in ethnomusicology. Each chapter examines ethnographic and historical works from within ethnomusicology, showcasing the unique contributions scholars in the field have made to wider, transdisciplinary dialogs, while illuminating the field's relevance and pointing the way toward new horizons of research"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction / Harris M. Berger and Ruth M. Stone
Linguistic and semiotic approaches to ethnomusicology: from abstract structure to situated practice / Jayson Beaster-Jones
Marxist approaches to music, political economy, and the culture industries: ethnomusicological perspectives / Peter Manuel
Theories of gender and sexuality: from the village to the anthropocene / Jane C. Sugarman
Constructing race and engaging power through music: ethnomusicology and critical approaches to race / Maureen Mahon
Theories of the post-colonial and globalization: ethnomusicologists grapple with power, history, media, and mobility / Jeremy Wallach and Esther Clinton
Performance studies and critical improvisation studies in ethnomusicology: understanding music and culture through situated practice / Ellen Waterman
Decentering music: sound studies and voice studies in ethnomusicology / Katherine Meizel and J. Martin Daughtry
Phenomenology and phenomenological ethnomusicology: approaches to the lived experience of music / Harris M. Berger
Theories of participation / Matthew Rahaim.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Berger, Harris M., 1966- editor.
Stone, Ruth M., editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Theory for ethnomusicology
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|