Civic and uncivic values in Poland : value transformation, education, and culture / edited by Sabrina P. Ramet, Kristen Ringdal, and Katarzyna Dośpiał-Borysiak.
- Budapest, Hungary ; New York : Central European University Press, 2019. , ©2019
xv, 370 pages ; 24 cm
- Political culture -- Poland.
Social values -- Poland.
Religion and politics -- Poland.
Popular culture -- Political aspects -- Poland.
Poland -- Politics and government -- 1989-
Politics and government.
Popular culture -- Political aspects.
Religion and politics.
- Poland, like many societies across the world, is becoming more polarized in diverse areas of life, as contending forces seek to advance incompatible agendas. The polarization over values in Polish politics was evident already before communism collapsed but became more obvious in the following years and reached a crescendo after the October 2015 parliamentary elections, which brought a right-wing party into power.0This volume focuses on the years since 1989, looking at the clash between civic values (the rule of law, individual rights, tolerance, respect for the harm principle, equality, and neutrality of the state in matters of religion) and uncivic values (the rule of a dictator or dictatorial party, contempt for individual rights, bigotry, disrespect for the harm principle, unequal treatment of people whether through discrimination or through exploitation, and state favoritism of one religion over others). The authors address voting behavior, political parties, anti-Semitism, homophobia, the role of the Catholic Church, and reflections in history textbooks, fi lm, and even rock music. This volume makes clear that for the foreseeable future the conflict in Poland between traditional, conservative values and liberal, civic values is likely to continue, provoking tensions and protests.
- And uncivic values : an introduction / Sabrina P. Ramet
Polish politics, April 1989-October 2015 / Aleksander Zdravkovski
Party system and voting behavior in Poland / Michal Slowikowski and Michal Pierzgalski
European values in Poland : the special case of ethnic and national minorities / Katarzyna Dospial-Borysiak, Agata Wlodarska-Frykowska, and Michal Klonowski
Polish civic values in a European context / Kristen Ringdal
Religion in public life / Maciej Potz
Religiosity, tolerance of homosexuality, and support for gay and lesbian rights in Poland : the present and likely future(s) / Ewa Golebiowska
National-Catholic impact on anti-semitism in Poland : report of the significant results of empirical research / Ireneusz Krzeminski
Education : controversies surrounding socialization factors and mechanisms / Renata Siemienska
History textbooks in Poland since 1989 : a dialogue between the past and the present / Sylwia Bobryk and Thomas Strobel
Rock music and politics in Poland : lyrics of protest and resistance / Sabrina P. Ramet
Film and values : Polish cinema of national remembrance / Elzbieta Durys
Poland's media : learning from the past and fitting a new mold / Jane Leftwich Curry
Past and present in the struggle for Polish democracy : a postscript / Sabrina P. Ramet.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Ramet, Sabrina P., 1949- editor.
Ringdal, Kristen, 1948- editor.
Dośpiał-Borysiak, Katarzyna, 1976- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|