Storytelling in the digital world / edited by Anna De Fina, Georgetown University, Sabina Perrino, Binghamton University.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Publishing Company,  , ©2019
- Benjamins current topics; v. 104.
Benjamins current topics, 1874-0081 ; volume 104
131 pages ; 25 cm.
- Narration (Rhetoric)
- Storytelling in the Digital World' explores new, emerging narrative practices as they are enacted on digital platforms such as Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Contributors' online ethnographies investigate a wide range of themes including the nature of processes of transformation and recontextualization of offline events into digital narratives; the effects of digital anonymity and pseudonymity on narrative practices; the strategies through which virtual communities discursively work together to solidify and negotiate their sociocultural identities; the tensions between the affordances that characterize different online media and the communicative needs of users; the structures and modes in which virtual users construct and enact participatory practices in these environments; and the significance of different spatiotemporal dimensions in the encoding, sharing and appreciation of stories. More generally, the volume engages with some of the theoretical and methodological challenges that the growing presence of digital technologies and media poses to narrative analysis. 0Originally published as special issue of 'Narrative Inquiry' 27:2 (2017).
- Introduction: storytelling in the digital world / Anna De Fina and Sabina Perrino
"My life has changed forever!": narrative identities in parodies of Amazon reviews / Camilla Vásquez
Online retellings and the viral transformation of a Twitter breakup story / Anna de Fina and Brittany Toscano Gore
Recontextualizing racialized stories on YouTube / Sabina Perrino
"We are going to our Portuguese homeland!": French Luso-descendants: diasporic Facebook conarrations of vacation return trips to Portugal / Isabelle Simões Marques and Michèle Koven
Sharing the moment as small stories: the interplay between practices & affordances in the social media-curation of lives / Alexandra Georgakopoulou.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- De Fina, Anna, editor.
Perrino, Sabina, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Storytelling in the digital world
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|