Poisoner in chief : Sidney Gottlieb and the CIA search for mind control / Stephen Kinzer.
- First edition.
- New York : Henry Holt and Company, 2019.
354 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Gottlieb, Sidney, 1918-1999.
Brainwashing -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Hallucinogenic drugs -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
LSD (Drug) -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
United States. Central Intelligence Agency -- History -- 20th century.
United States. Central Intelligence Agency
- The bestselling author of All the Shah's Men and The Brothers tells the astonishing story of the man who oversaw the CIA's secret medical experiments of the 1950s and '60s. The visionary chemist Sidney Gottlieb was the CIA's master magician and gentlehearted torturer-the agency's "poisoner in chief." As head of the MK-ULTRA mind control project, he directed brutal experiments at secret prisons on three continents. He made pills, powders, and potions that could kill or maim without a trace-including some intended for Fidel Castro and other foreign leaders. He paid prostitutes to lure clients to CIA-run bordellos, where they were secretly dosed with mind-altering drugs. His experiments spread LSD across the United States, making him a hidden godfather of the 1960s counterculture. For years he was the chief supplier of spy tools used by CIA officers around the world. Stephen Kinzer, author of groundbreaking books about U.S. clandestine operations, draws on new documentary research and original interviews to bring to life one of the most powerful unknown Americans of the twentieth century. Gottlieb's reckless experiments on "expendable" human subjects destroyed many lives, yet he considered himself deeply spiritual. He lived in a remote cabin without running water, meditated, and rose before dawn to milk his goats. During his twenty-two years at the CIA, Gottlieb worked in the deepest secrecy. Only since his death has it become possible to piece together his astonishing career at the intersection of extreme science and covert action. Poisoner in Chief reveals him as a clandestine conjurer on an epic scale.
- I needed more of a challenge
Willing and unwilling subjects
The secret that was going to unlock the universe
Any effort to tamper with this project, MK-ULTRA, is not permitted
Fell or jumped
Operation midnight climax
The divine mushroom
Health alteration committee
We must always remember to thank the CIA
Let this die with us
Some of our people were out of control in those days
I feel victimized
If Gottlieb is found guilty, it would be a real first
You never can know what he was.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|