Our Nig, or, Sketches from the life of a free Black : a novel / by Harriet E. Wilson ; introduction by Henry Louis Gates.
- Other Title:
- Sketches from the life of a free Black
- London : Allison & Busby, 1984.
, lix, , 140, xxxiii,  pages ; 21 cm
- Wilson, Harriet E., 1825-1900.
Indentured servants -- Massachusetts -- Fiction.
Free African Americans -- History -- 19th century -- Fiction.
Slavery -- United States -- Fiction.
Women household employees -- Massachusetts -- Fiction.
African American women -- Massachusetts -- Fiction.
Racism -- Massachusetts -- Fiction.
Massachusetts -- Race relations -- Fiction.
African American women.
Free African Americans.
Women household employees.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- "This second edition of 'Our Nig' is dedicated by Pauline August Coleman Gates and Henry Louis Gates, Sr."
"First published in Great Britain in 1984 by Allison & Busby Ltd. ... First published in America in 1983 simultaneously by Random House and Vintage Books."
"This definitive edition includes a comprehensive introduction and textual notes by Yale professor Henry Louis Gates and an epilogue establishing the identity of the author."--Dustjacket.
Contains facsimile of the 1859 edition of 'Our Nig' printed by Geo. C. Rand & Avery.
"Jacket design by Wendy Taylor and Mick Keates. Illustration shows 'Portrait of a Negress' by Marie-Guihelmine Benoist ..."
Includes bibliographical references (pages xxix-xxxiii).
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Gates, Henry Louis, Jr. introduction and notes writer.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|