The colonial life of pharmaceuticals : medicines and modernity in Vietnam / Laurence Monnais ; translated by Noémi Tousignant.
- Standardized Title:
- Médicaments coloniaux. English
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 
- Global health histories (Series)
Global health histories
ix, 280 pages ; 24 cm
- Pharmacology -- Vietnam -- History.
Pharmaceutical industry -- Vietnam -- History.
France -- Colonies -- Asia -- History.
Vietnam -- History -- 1858-1945.
Medicine -- Political aspects -- Vietnam -- History -- 20th century.
- Medical subjects:
- Pharmaceutical Preparations -- history.
Drug Therapy -- history.
Colonialism -- history.
Social Change -- history.
History, 19th Century.
History, 20th Century.
- "Situated at the crossroads between the history of colonialism, of modern Southeast Asia and of medical pluralism, this book traces the "life of pharmaceuticals" in Vietnam under French rule. By focusing on the circulation and consumption of colonial medicines from the last third of the nineteenth century to the eve of World War II, it addresses neglected, and sometimes surprising, facets of the medicalization of Vietnamese society. By colonial medicines, I mean not only medicines introduced and distributed by the colonizers, but also, importantly, medicines that were generated within and (re)defined by the process, and experience, of colonization. This book covers a period during which pharmaceuticals as we now know them were being defined, when their characteristics became stabilized and their modalities of distribution were tightened"--Provided by publisher.
Making medicines modern, making medicines colonial
Medicines in colonial (public) health
The mirage of mass distribution : state quinine and essential medicines
The many lives of medicines in the private market
Crimes and misdemeanors : transactions and transgressions in the therapeutic market
Learning effects : lived experiences, pharmaceutical publicity, and the roots of selective demand
Medicines as vectors of modernization and medicalization
Therapeutic pluralism under colonial rule
Conclusion : from colonial medicines to postcolonial health.
- "This edition is a revised, expanded and updated translation of Médicaments coloniaux. L'expérience vietnamienne, 1905-1940 (Paris: Les Indes savants, 2014)."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 263-276) and index.
- Tousignant, Noémi, translator.
- Other format:
- Ebook version :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|