German division as shared experience : interdisciplinary perspectives on the postwar everyday / edited by Erica Carter, Jan Palmowski, and Katrin Schreiter.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2019.
ix, 308 pages ; 24 cm
- Germany (East) -- Social life and customs.
Germany (West) -- Social life and customs.
Germany (East) -- Intellectual life.
Germany (West) -- Intellectual life.
Intercultural communication -- Germany (East) -- History.
Intercultural communication -- Germany (West) -- History.
Germany (East) -- Relations -- Germany (West).
Germany (West) -- Relations -- Germany (East).
Germany -- History -- 1945-1990.
Manners and customs.
- "Despite the nearly three decades since German reunification, there remains little understanding of the ways in which experiences overlapped across East-West divides. German Division as Shared Experience considers everyday life across the two Germanies, using perspectives from history, literary and cultural studies, anthropology and art history to explore how interconnections as well as fractures between East and West Germany after 1945 were experienced, lived and felt. Through its novel approach to historical method, the volume points to new understandings of the place of narrative, form and lived sensibility in shaping Germans' simultaneously shared and separate experiences of belonging during forty years of division from 1945 to 1990"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: German division as shared experience / Erica Carter, Jan Palmowski and Katrin Schreiter
Narrating the everyday : television, memory and the subjunctive in the GDR, 1969-89 / Jan Palmowski
Tension of Germanness in the Global South : German immigration in Namibia / Heidi Armbruster
"Ich bin parteilich, subjektiv und emotional" : Eigensinn and the narrative (re)construction of political agency in Inge Viett's Nie war ich furchtloser / Katharina Karcher
Asymmetrical (be)longing : villagers, spatial practices and the German "other" / Marcel Thomas
Everyday displacements in Cold War Berlin : short prose from East and West / Aine McMurtry
DEFA's "home-made" experiment : traces of GDR reality and international avant-garde film in Jurgen Bottcher's Transformations (1981) / Franziska Nossig
Style identities and individualization in 1980s East and West Germany / Alissa Bellotti
Cultivating the past : the Schrebergarten as a political space in postwar German literature / Katrin Schreiter
Painting in East Germany : an elite art for the everyday (and everyone) / April A. Eisman
The perceptual fabric and everyday practices of jazz and pop in East and West Germany / Michael J. Schmidt
Alles Geschmackssache? Shaping (gustatory) tastes in East and West Germany / Alice Weinreb
Conclusion / Erica Carter, Jan Palmowski, Katrin Schreiter.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Carter, Erica, editor.
Palmowski, Jan, editor.
Schreiter, Katrin, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: German division as shared experience
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|