The configuration of the Spanish public sphere : from the Enlightenment to the indignados / edited by David Jimenez Torres and Leticia Villamediana Gonzalez.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2019. , ©2019
- Studies in Latin American and Spanish history; v. 5.
Studies in Latin American and Spanish history ; volume 5
vi, 317 pages ; 24 cm.
- Political participation -- Spain -- History.
Social participation -- Spain -- History.
Public opinion -- Spain -- History.
Communication in politics -- Spain -- History.
Mass media -- Political aspects -- Spain -- History.
Political culture -- Spain -- History.
Spain -- Politics and government.
Spain -- Social conditions.
Communication in politics.
Mass media -- Political aspects.
Politics and government.
- "Since the explosion of the indignados movement beginning in 2011, there has been a renewed interest in the concept of the 'public sphere' in a Spanish context: how it relates to society and to political power, and how it has evolved over the centuries. The Configuration of the Spanish Public Sphere brings together contributions from leading scholars in Hispanic studies, across a wide range of disciplines, to investigate various aspects of these processes, offering a long-term, panoramic view that touches on one of the most urgent issues for contemporary European societies"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: A Spanish public sphere? / Leticia Villamediana Gonzalez and David Jimenez Torres
Spain and Habermas's public sphere : a revisionist view / Sally-Ann Kitts
Benito Jeronimo Feijoo in the initial stages of the Spanish public sphere : some considerations / Noelia Garcia Diaz
"Of national politeness" : civility and national character in Spanish travel accounts to Great Britain / Monica Bolufer Peruga
News, censorship and propaganda in the Gazeta de Mexico during the summer of 1808 / Francisco Eissa-Barroso
The role of the military in the development of a Spanish liberal public sphere, 1820-1823 / Richard Meyer Forsting
The shape of the public sphere in Spain (1860-1899) : a dream of generalities / Andrew Ginger
New women for the public space : Aurora Rodriguez Carballeira and the eugenic mother (1879-1956) / Alba Gonzalez
Miguel de Unamuno's notion of public sphere / Stephen G.H. Roberts
Spanish modern times : a cinematographic national sphere in the first third of the 20th century / Marta Garcia Carrion
What was public opinion in the Francoist "new state"? Information, publics and rumour in the Spanish postwar (1939-1945) / Francisco Sevillano
The political cartoonist as intellectual : cultural hegemony and consensus in crisis / Daniel Mourenza
The old, the new and the possible : challenging discourses and the narrative breach in post-neoliberal crisis Spain / Federico Lopez-Terra
The 15M movement : reinvigorating the public sphere in Spain / Georgina Blakeley
Conclusion / David Jimenez Torres and Leticia Villamediana Gonzalez.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Jiménez Torres, David, 1986- editor.
Villamediana González, Leticia, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Configuration of the Spanish public sphere
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|