Golden calf traditions in early Judaism, Christianity, and Islam / edited by Eric F. Mason, Edmondo F. Lupieri.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Themes in biblical narrative; v. 23.
Themes in biblical narrative: Jewish and Christian traditions ; volume 23
xxii,  pages : 25 cm
- Bible. Old Testament -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Bible. Old Testament.
Golden calf (Bible).
Judaism -- Doctrines.
Islam -- Doctrines.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- The seventeen studies in 'Golden Calf Traditions in Early Judaism, Christianity, and Islam' explore the biblical origins of the golden calf story in Exodus, Deuteronomy, and 1 Kings, as well as its reception in a variety of sources: Hebrew Scriptures (Hosea, Jeremiah, Psalms, Nehemiah); Second Temple Judaism (Animal Apocalypse, Pseudo-Philo, Philo, Josephus); rabbinic Judaism; the New Testament (Acts, Paul, Hebrews, Revelation) and early Christianity (among Greek, Latin, and Syriac writers), as well as the Qur'an and Islamic literature. Expert contributors explore how each ancient author engaged with the calf traditions - whether explicitly, implicitly, or by clearly and consciously avoiding it - and elucidate how the story was used both negatively and positively for didactic, allegorical, polemical, and even apologetic purposes.
- The calf episodes in Exodus and Deuteronomy : a study in inner-biblical interpretation / Robert A. Di Vito
The "sin" of Jeroboam / Ralph W. Klein
Do the books of Hosea and Jeremiah know of a Sinai/Horeb golden calf story? / Pauline A. Viviano
The golden calf in the historical recitals of Nehemiah 9 and Psalm 106 / Richard J. Bautch
Did the sheep worship the golden calf? The animal apocalypse's reading of Exodus 32 / Daniel Assefa, Kelley Coblentz Bautch
Philo of Alexandria's interpretations of the episode of the golden calf / Thomas H. Tobin, S.J.
When silence is golden : the omission of the golden calf story of Josephus / Gregory E. Sterling
Leaders without blemish : pseudo-Philo's retelling of the biblical golden calf story / John C. Endres, S.J. with the assistance of Peter Claver Ajer
Paul and the calf : texts, tendencies, and traditions / Alec J. Lucas
"They made a calf" : idolatry and temple in Acts 7 / Joel B. Green
Traces of the golden calf in the Epistle to the Hebrews / Eric F. Mason
A beast and a woman in the desert, or the sin of Israel : a typological reflection / Edmondo Lupieri
"A good argument to penitents" : sin and forgiveness in Midrashic interpretations of the golden calf / Devorah Schoenfeld
Anti-Judaism and pedagogy : Greek and Latin patristic interpretations of the calf incident / Wesley Dingman
Justin Martyr and the golden calf : ethnic argumentation in the new Israel / Andrew Radde-Gallwitz
The incident of the golden calf in pre-Islamic Syriac authors/ Andrew J. Hayes
"A calf, a body that lows" : the golden calf from Late Antiquity to classical Isalm / Michael E. Pregill.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Mason, Eric Farrel, editor.
Lupieri, Edmondo, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Golden calf traditions in early Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|