K. Straus and Company Inc. account book, 1893-1894.
- Jewish merchants -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- 19th century.
Jews -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources.
Account books -- 19th century -- Specimens.
Tobacco industry -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
Manuscripts, American -- 19th century.
- The company was founded by Karl Straus born in 1845 who was a Jewish German immigrant. Straus arrived in Philadelphia in 1867 and he began a wholesale liquor business. In 1888 he became a tobacco merchant opening his own company named K. Straus & Co. Straus died in 1920 leaving the business to his nephew Adolf Loeb who incorporated the company in 1922.
- A slim, pre-printed volume comprising the daily purchases and sales of tobacco by Philadelphia tobacco merchant K. Straus & Co. spanning a little of over one year from 1893 to February 1894. Accounts were recorded on the pre-printed pages spanning one opening. Leaf tobacco purchased was entered on the rectos and leaf tobacco sold was entered on the versos. A printed heading across top of the two-leaf opening reads: Record of leaf tobacco purchased and sold by followed by blank lines. Written In the blank spaces is K. Straus & Co. at 122 N. 3rd St. Phila. The company purchased tobacco from various merchants from around the Untied States and Havana, Cuba. K. Straus & Co. tobacco sales served chiefly patrons of Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey area with occasional sales to customers in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Penn Provenance:
- Purchased for the Penn Libraries 2016 by Arnold and Deanne Kaplan (eBay, September 26, 2007)
Sold by eBay, September 26, 2007.
- Cited as:
- UPenn CAJS MS 56, Codex 036.1.
- Kaplan, Arnold, donor.
Kaplan, Deanne, donor.
Arnold and Deanne Kaplan Collection of Modern American Judaica (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|