Inventory of sale catalogues of named and attributed owners of books sold by retail or auction, 1676-1800 : an inventory of sales in the British Isles, America, the United States, Canada and India / compiled by R.C. Alston.
- Other Title:
- Inventory of sale catalogues 1676-1800 : British Isles, America, United States, Canada, India
- [St. Philip] : R.C. Alston, 2010.
- Yeadon, Eng. : Smith Settle
2 volumes (1192 pages) ; 30 cm
- Antiquarian booksellers -- Catalogs -- Inventories.
Book auctions -- Catalogs -- Inventories.
Book catalogs -- Inventories.
Books -- Private collections -- Catalogs -- Inventories.
Private libraries -- Catalogs -- Inventories.
Book industries and trade.
Booksellers and bookselling.
- Place of Publication:
- Barbados Saint Philip.
- This contribution to the history of British auction and retail catalogues seeks to enhance what was achieved by the compilers of the British Museum "List of Catalogues of English Book Sales," compiled by Harold Mattingley and I.A.K. Burnett and edited by A.W. Pollard published in 1915, and particularly the copy of this catalogue as annotated by A.N.L. Munby; John Lawler's "Book Auctions in England in the Seventeenth Century (1676-1700)," London, 1898; and A.N.L. Munby and Lenore Coral, "British Book Catalogues, 1676-1800," published in 1977. The principal aim with this catalogue is to document libraries by known owners. The sources are numerous: every known directory printed before 1851; newspapers, both for London and the counties, but particularly the Burney newspapers which mostly concern London; histories of every sort of library; county histories; town histories; school histories.
- Vol. 1, Catalogue 1676-1764
Vol. 2, Catalogue 1765-1800.
- "Privately printed by Smith Settle, Yeadon, Yorkshire, for the author."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Penn Chronology:
- Alston, Robin, 1933-2011, compiler, publisher.
Smith Settle (Firm), printer.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|