EU-Turkey relations in the 21st century [electronic resource] / Birol Yesilada.
- Other Title:
- European Union-Turkey relations in the 21st century
EU-Turkey relations in the twenty-first century
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Routledge Studies in Middle Eastern Politics
Routledge studies in Middle Eastern politics ; 51
1 online resource (193 p.)
- European Union countries -- Foreign relations -- Turkey.
Turkey -- Foreign relations -- European Union countries.
European Union -- Turkey.
- Electronic books.
- The possibility of Turkey's accession to the European Union has been problematic. Initially, the EU's pursuit of regional economic integration and enlargement of membership, at the exclusion of Turkey, strained relations between the two. It was not until 1999, and under pressure from the US, that Turkey was considered as a potential candidate for membership.This book seeks to provide a comprehensive assessment of the fluctuating relations between the EU and Turkey in the twenty-first century. Applying complementary theoretical models to evaluate prospects for Turkey's membersh
- EU-Turkey Relations in the 21st Century; Copyright; Contents; List of illustrations; Preface; Acknowledgements; 1 Introduction; 2 Historical overview of EU-Turkey relations; 3 Copenhagen criteria and Turkey's qualifications; Copenhagen criteria for membership; 4 Public opinion; Public opinion in the EU over future enlargement; Turkish public opinion on EU membership; 5 Benefits and challenges of EU membership; Membership and democratic consolidation in Turkey; The clash of civilizations and fear of Turks migrating to Europe; Economic benefits and challenges of membership
Institutional implications of Turkey's membershipConcluding remarks; 6 Power transition analysis of EU-Turkey relations; Power transition theory; Results of power transition analysis; Assessment; 7 Conclusions and prospects; Appendix: SPSS tables; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|