Reclaiming education for democracy [electronic resource] : thinking beyond No Child Left Behind / Paul Shaker and Elizabeth E. Heilman.
- New York : Routledge, 2008.
- Sociocultural, political, and historical studies in education.
Sociocultural, political, and historical studies in education
1 online resource (257 p.)
- United States. No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
Democracy and education -- United States.
Education and state -- United States.
Education -- Political aspects -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- Reclaiming Education for Democracy subjects the prophets and doctrines of educational neoliberalism to scrutiny in order to provide a rationale and vision for public education beyond the limits of No Child Left Behind. The authors combine a history of recent education policy with an in- depth analysis of the origins of such policy and its impact on professional educators. The public face of these policies is separated from motives rooted in politics, profit, and ideology. The book also searches for new insights in understanding the neoliberal and managerialist assault on education
- Book Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Foreword; Preface; Acknowledgements; Acknowledgements, continued; Introduction: The changing vision of education in our democratic society; Part I Mechanisms and motivations of education policy; Chapter 1 Political advocacy versus academic authority: Defining educational inquiry and defending public education; Chapter 2 Policy as propaganda: A critical examination of NCLB; Chapter 3 The cultural psychology of the right; Part II Distortions of the advocates; Chapter 4 The myth of scientifically based research; Chapter 5 The "science" of teacher testing
Chapter 6 Contested visions of public schooling for a democratic societyChapter 7 Left back: Punditry or history?; Part III Visions for change; Chapter 8 A renewed vision of good teaching and good schools; Chapter 9 Rediscovering and reclaiming public education in a democratic society; References; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Heilman, Elizabeth E.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|