Sport and body politics in Japan [electronic resource] / Wolfram Manzenreiter.
- New York ; Oxfordshire, England : Routledge, c2014.
- Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society
Routledge research in sport, culture and society ; 26
1 online resource (330 p.)
- Sports -- Japan -- History.
Sports and society -- Japan -- History.
Human body -- Social aspects -- Japan.
Human body -- Political aspects -- Japan.
Culture and globalization -- Japan.
- Electronic books.
- There is more to Japanese sport than sumo, karate and baseball. This study of social sport in Japan pursues a comprehensive approach towards sport as a distinctive cultural sphere at the intersection of body culture, political economy, and cultural globalization. Bridging the gap between Bourdieu and Foucault, it explains the significance of the body as a field of action and a topic of discourse in molding subject and society in modern Japan. More specifically, it provides answers to questions such as how and to what purposes are politics of the body articulated in Japan, particularly in the r
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from title page (ebrary, viewed August 31, 2013).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|