Embodied cognition / Lawrence Shapiro.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- New problems of philosophy.
New problems of philosophy
1 online resource (253 p.)
- Philosophy of mind.
- Electronic books.
- Embodied cognition often challenges standard cognitive science. In this outstanding introduction, Lawrence Shapiro sets out the central themes and debates surrounding embodied cognition, explaining and assessing the work of many of the key figures in the field, including George Lakoff, Alva Noë, Andy Clark, and Arthur Glenberg.Beginning with an outline of the theoretical and methodological commitments of standard cognitive science, Shapiro then examines philosophical and empirical arguments surrounding the traditional perspective. He introduces topics such as dynamic systems t
- BOOK COVER; TITLE; COPYRIGHT; CONTENTS; ILLUSTRATIONS; ACKNOWLEDGMENTS; INTRODUCTION: TOWARD AN UNDERSTANDING OF EMBODIED COGNITION; 1 STANDARD COGNITIVE SCIENCE; 2 CHALLENGING STANDARD COGNITIVE SCIENCE; 3 CONCEPTIONS OF EMBODIMENT; 4 EMBODIED COGNITION: THE CONCEPTUALIZATION HYPOTHESIS; 5 EMBODIED COGNITION: THE REPLACEMENT HYPOTHESIS; 6 EMBODIED COGNITION: THE CONSTITUTION HYPOTHESIS; 7 CONCLUDING THOUGHTS; GLOSSARY; NOTES; REFERENCES; INDEX
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -233) and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203850664 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|