Korea's retirement predicament [electronic resource] : the ageing tiger / edited by Thomas R. Klassen and Yunjeong Yang.
- New York : Routledge, 2014.
- Routledge Advances in Korean Studies
Routledge advances in Korean studies ; 28
Routledge Advances in Korean Studies
1 online resource (188 p.)
- Retirement -- Government policy -- Korea (South).
Early retirement -- Korea (South).
Retirement age -- Korea (South).
Women -- Retirement -- Korea (South).
- Electronic books.
- The distinguishing feature for many workers in South Korea is contractual - and often involuntary - retirement at a young age (mid-50s for most workers) followed by precarious and low-paying self-employment or contract work.This book examines how this retirement arrangement arose, and the policy reforms that have been both undertaken and proposed to allow workers to remain employed longer. Using a multi-disciplinary and comparative approach, the authors study contractual mandatory retirement trends and policies in South Korea, and in doing so illuminate the political, social, legal, economic a
- Foreword / Young Ki Choi
Introduction to retirement in Korea / Thomas R. Klassen and Kun-ha Yu
Demographic change in Korea and East Asia / Ghazy Mujahid
The welfare state and income security for the elderly in Korea / Jae-jin Yang
The legal foundations of mandatory retirement in Korea / Yongman Cho
Korean women and retirement / Yunjeong Yang and Soondool Chung
Institutionalization of the retirement pension plan and the limited role of corporatism in Korea / MyungJoon Park
National pension, labour market and retirement in Korea : institutional mismatch and policy alternatives / Hanam Phang
Changing retirement patterns in Japan / Koichi Hiraoka
Retiring immigrants : Korean seniors' lives after migration to Canada / Ann H. Kim
The future of retirement / Masa Higo and Thomas R. Klassen.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Klassen, Thomas Richard, 1957-
Yang, Yunjeong, 1971-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|