Education, Philosophy and Politics [electronic resource] : The Selected Works of Michael A. Peters
- Hoboken : Taylor and Francis, 2012.
- World library of educationalists series Education, philosophy and politics
1 online resource (241 p.)
- Education -- Philosophy.
Political science -- Philosophy.
- Local subjects:
- Education -- Philosophy. (search)
Peters, Michael. (search)
Peters, Michael (Michael A.), 1948-. (search)
Peters, Michael A. (search)
Political science -- Philosophy. (search)
- Electronic books.
- In the World Library of Educationalists series, international experts themselves compile career-long collections of what they judge to be their finest pieces - extracts from books, key articles, salient research findings, major theoretical and/practical contributions - so the world can read them in a single manageable volume. Michael A. Peters has spent the last 30 years researching, thinking and writing about some of the key and enduring issues in education. He has contributed over 60 books (authored, co-authored and edited) and 500 articles to the field. In Education, Ph
- Education, Philosophy and Politics The selected works of Michael A. Peters; Copyright; Contents; Acknowledgements; Introduction: education, philosophy and politics; Notes; References; CHAPTER 1 Philosophy as pedagogy: Wittgenstein's styles of thinking; Introduction; Wittgenstein as philosophy teacher; Wittgenstein, teaching and philosophy; The style of the Investigations: dialogue and pedagogy; Notes; References; CHAPTER2 Writing the self: Wittgenstein, confession and pedagogy; Introduction; Culture and Value - autobiosophy/philography; Confession as a redeemed 'philosophical' genre
Reading and writing the selfNotes; References; CHAPTER3 Nietzsche, nihilism and the critique of modernity: post-Nietzschean philosophy of education; Introduction; Nietzsche and the analytic/Continental divide; Nietzsche and the critique of modernity; Habermas, Nietzsche, and the question of postmodernity; Note; References; CHAPTER4 Heidegger, education and modernity; The reception of Heidegger; Heidegger's critique of modernity; Heidegger, politics and Nazism; Sources of Heidegger's anti-modernism; Beyond modernity?; Notes; References
CHAPTER5 Truth-telling as an educational practice of the self: Foucault and the ethics of subjectivityIntroduction; Foucault on truth: from regimes to games of truth; Parrhesia, education and practices of truth-telling; Conclusion: Foucault and the prospects for parrhesiastical education; Notes; References; CHAPTER6 Neoliberal governmentality: Foucault on the birth of biopolitics; Introduction; German neoliberalism and the birth of biopolitics; German neoliberalism and the birth of the European social model; Notes; References; CHAPTER7 Lyotard, nihilism and education
Introduction: the problem of nihilism in educationA brief history of European nihilism - Nietzsche and Heidegger; Lyotard and European nihilism; Language-games and The Postmodern Condition; Lyotard's passage to The Differend; Notes; References; CHAPTER8 Gilles Deleuze's 'societies of control': from disciplinary pedagogy to perpetual training; Introduction; Disciplinary societies, disciplinary pedagogies; Deleuze's 'societies of control' and continuous education; Notes; References; CHAPTER9 Geophilosophy, education and the pedagogy of the concept; Introduction; Philosophy as concept creation
GeophilosophyAn excursus: the principle of territory and the geography of reason; Capitalism, philosophy and the state; Notes; References; CHAPTER10 Humanism, Derrida and the new humanities; Introduction; Renaissance humanism and education; Martin Heidegger's Letter on Humanism; Derrida, humanism and the new humanities; Notes; References; CHAPTER11 Politics and deconstruction: Derrida, neoliberalism and democracy to come; Introduction: politics and deconstruction; Derrida, neoliberalism and anti-Nietzscheanism: re-writing the subject; Democracy to come; Notes; References
CHAPTER12 Neopragmatism, ethnocentrism and the politics of the ethnos : Rorty's 'postmodernist bourgeois liberalism'
- Description based upon print version of record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|