Migration and new media : transnational families and polymedia / Mirca Madianou and Daniel Miller.
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, N.Y. : Routledge, 2012.
1 online resource (193 p.)
- Foreign workers, Philippine -- Family relationships -- Great Britain.
Women foreign workers -- Family relationships -- Great Britain.
Children of foreign workers -- Family relationships -- Philippines.
Communication in families -- Philippines.
Interpersonal communication -- Technological innovations -- Social aspects -- Philippines.
Communication, International -- Technological innovations -- Social aspects -- Philippines.
- Electronic books.
- "The way in which families maintain long distance communication when they are separated because of migration has been revolutionised by the emergence of a variety of internet- and mobile phone-based platforms. These platforms have created a new communicative environment, which the authors call 'polymedia'. This book draws on a long-term ethnographic study of prolonged separation between transnational Filipino migrant mothers in the UK and their left-behind children in the Philippines. It is unique in the way it provides firstly a theory of the new experience of media itself, as polymedia. This is complemented by a theory of relationships based on an analysis of mother-child communication. The authors seek to go beyond both media studies and anthropology to construct a new theory of mediated relationships that combines findings from both disciplines and has considerable importance for the social sciences more generally."--Publisher's description.
- MIGRATION AND NEW MEDIA Transnational families and polymedia; Copyright; CONTENTS; Acknowledgements; 1 Introduction; 2 The Philippines and globalisation: migration, mothering and communications; 3 Why they go - and why they stay; 4 Letters and cassettes; 5 The mothers' perspective; 6 The children's perspective; 7 The technology of relationships; 8 Polymedia; 9 A theory of mediated relationships; Appendix: a note on method; Notes; References; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Miller, Daniel, 1954-
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203154236 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|