Governmentality : critical encounters / William Walters.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Critical issues in global politics.
Critical issues in global politics
1 online resource (201 p.)
- Political science -- Philosophy.
Foucault, Michel, 1926-1984 -- Political and social views.
- Electronic books.
- First developed by Michel Foucault more than thirty years ago, ""governmentality"" has become an essential set of tools for many researchers in the social and political sciences today. What is ""governmentality""? How does this perspective challenge the way we understand political power and its contestation? This new introduction offers advanced undergraduate and graduate students both a highly accessible guide and an original contribution to debates about power and governmentality. The book aims to serve four main functions:To situate governmentality as an inte
- Governmentality: Critical encounters; Copyright; Contents; Acknowledgements; Introduction; The advance of governmentality; Critical encounters; Four chapters; 1 Foucault, power and governmentality; Introduction; What is governmentality?; Beyond the microphysics of power?; From theory of the state to genealogy of the state; History of the art of government; Five propositions on Foucault and governmentality; 2 Governmentality 3.4.7; Introduction; Governmentality 'after' Foucault; Governmentality and the political sciences; Some problems in governmentality
3 Foucault effect redux? Some notes on international governmentality studiesConstellation; A few preliminary observations; Problems and debates in international governmentality studies; 4 Reconnecting governmentality and genealogy: Questions of style; Introduction; Genealogy and governmentality; Pluralizing genealogy; Practising genealogy: three styles; Lines of descent: the family tree of power? (GI); Counter-memory and re-serialization (GII); The retrieval of forgotten struggles and subjugated knowledges (GIII); 5 Conclusion: Encountering governmentality
Governmentality as a new cartography of powerFrom mapping to encountering; Governmentality and politics; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203116937 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|