Doing business in a new climate : a guide to measuring, reducing and offsetting greenhouse gas emissions / Paul Lingl, Deborah Carlson and the David Suzuki Foundation.
- London ; Washington, D.C. : Earthscan, 2010.
1 online resource (96 p.)
- Business enterprises -- Environmental aspects.
Social responsibility of business.
Greenhouse gas mitigation.
Greenhouse gases -- Environmental aspects.
- Electronic books.
- Around the world, a growing number of businesses are taking steps to reduce their climate impact by managing their greenhouse gas emissions. At the same time, these businesses are discovering that effective greenhouse gas management can enhance their brands, motivate employees, increase operational efficiencies, and save money. This guide walks readers through the key activities that make up a greenhouse gas management program, including measuring, reducing, and offsetting emissions and developing a communications strategy around the program. Throughout, case studies of over fifty leading bus
- Front Cover; Copyright Page; Contents; Acknowledgements; Introduction; Climate change impacts on the economy; Part 1: Getting Started: Planning for the Success of the GHG Management Programme; Define the business case; Establish goals; Obtain buy-in and active commitment; Create a climate leadership team and allocate funds; Helpful resources; Part 2: Measuring Greenhouse Gas Emissions; Why carry out an emissions inventory?; The Greenhouse Gas Protocol; Setting boundaries; Collecting activity data; Calculating GHG emissions; Quality control; Helpful resources
Part 3: Reducing Greenhouse Gas EmissionsReduction targets; Identify reduction opportunities; Selecting reductionmeasures; Tracking reductions and cost savings; Examples of GHG emission reduction opportunities; Helpful resources; Part 4: Offsetting Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Going Carbon Neutral; What is carbon neutral?; Making a decision to go carbon neutral; Benefits of carbon neutral initiatives; Risks; Developing an effective carbon neutral initiative; Different types of carbon neutral initiatives; What is a carbon offset?; High quality carbon offsets; Deciding which offsets to purchase
Helpful resourcesPart 5: Communicating Effectively: Supporting the GHG Management Programme; Developing an effective communications plan; Principles of good communications for environmental initiatives; Tailoring messages to different audiences; Helpful resources; Part 6: Moving Forward and Overcoming Challenges; Time and money; Too many options; A steep learning curve for the emissions inventory; Lack of internal expertise; Motivating employees; Integration of GHG management into decision-making; Ongoing monitoring and adjustment; Helpful resources; Conclusion; Additional resources; Glossary
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Carlson, Deborah.
David Suzuki Foundation.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9781849774741 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|