The assumption of agency theory : a realist theory of the production of agency / [edited by] Kate Forbes-Pitt.
- Other records:
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Ontological explorations.
1 online resource (177 p.)
- Local subjects:
- Agent (Philosophy). (search)
Artificial intelligence -- Philosophy. (search)
Critical realism. (search)
Philosophical anthropology. (search)
Turing test. (search)
- Electronic books.
- The Assumption of Agency Theory revisits the Turing Test and examines what Turing's assessor knew. It asks important questions about how machines vis à vis humans have been characterized since Turing, and seeks to reverse the trend of looking closely at the machine by asking what humans know in interaction and how they know it. Building upon existing theories of philosophy of mind, this book shows not how humans operate theoretically, but how they use every day human skill to overcome knowledge barriers and understand each other through knowing themselves. Only once human in
- Front Cover; The Assumption of Agency Theory; Copyright Page; Contents; Preface; Acknowledgements; Introduction; 1. Philosophical assumptions; Part I: Self-knowledge and the assumption of agency; 2. The problem of other minds: the importance of first-order concepts; 3. What it means to be minded: intentionality; 4. Reasons and causes; 5. Preliminary statements about agency; Part II: Interaction, maintenance of agency and the unexplained act; 6. The ego agent and structure; 7. Maintenance of agency: first-order concepts through interaction
8. Satisfying the conditions of agency: using the action-mind chain9. The unexplained act: arriving at the evinced agent; Part III: Technology as agent; 10. Technology as evinced agent: disappearing the machine; 11. Disappearing the machine into the ego agent: 3D interaction and its implications for agency and reality; Conclusion; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (pages -164) and index.
- Forbes-Pitt, Kate.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203803363 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|