New millennium South Korea [electronic resource] : neoliberal capitalism and transnational movements / edited by Jesook Song.
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon, [England] ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Routledge advances in Korean studies ; 20.
Routledge advances in Korean studies ; 20
1 online resource (177 p.)
- Capitalism -- Korea (South).
Neoliberalism -- Korea (South).
Korea (South) -- Economic conditions -- 1988-.
Korea (South) -- Economic policy -- 1988-.
- Electronic books.
- Despite the common held belief that Asian nations have displayed anti-market tendencies of under-consumption and export-oriented trade since the Asian financial crisis, in the 10 years since the crisis, South Korea has bucked this trend accruing a higher debt rate than the US. This groundbreaking collection of essays addresses questions such as how did the open market policies and restructuring processes implemented during the Asian financial crisis magnify the consumption and debt level in South Korea to such an extent? What is the impact of these financial changes on the daily lives of pe
- Book Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; List of illustrations; Contributors; Acknowledgements; Introduction: Why Korea in the new millennium?; Part I: Economic and sociological accounts; 1 Globalization and social inequality in South Korea; 2 Neoliberalism, the financial crisis, and economic restructuring in Korea; 3 Neoliberalism in South Korea: The dynamics of financialization; Part II: Ethnographic and historical accounts; 4 Contesting legal liminality: The gendered labor politics of irregular workers in South Korea
5 The will to self-managing, the will to freedom: The self-managing ethic and the spirit of flexible capitalism in South Korea6 Educational manager mothers as neoliberal maternal subjects; 7 For the rights of "colonial returnees": Korean Chinese, decolonization, and neoliberal democracy in South Korea; 8 "Not-quite Korean" children in "almost Korean" families: The fear of decreasing population and state multiculturalism in South Korea; 9 "If you don't work, you don't eat": Evangelizing development in Africa; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Song, Jesook, 1969-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|