Towards new developmentalism : market as means rather than master / edited by Shahrukh Rafi Khan and Jens Christiansen.
- London : Routledge, 2011.
- Routledge studies in development economics ; 83.
Routledge studies in development economics ; 83
1 online resource (305 p.)
- Economic development.
- Electronic books.
- The global financial and economic crisis starting in 2007 has provoked the exploration of alternatives to neo-liberalism. Although neo-liberalism has been critiqued from various perspectives, these critiques have not coalesced into a concrete alternative in development economics literature. The main objective of this book is to name and formulate this alternative, identify what is new about this viewpoint, and project it on to the academic landscape. This book includes contributions from many prominent development economists who are unified by a form of ""developmental pragmat
- Book Cover; Title; Copyright; Contents; Figures; Tables; Contributors; Acknowledgments; Part I: Introduction; 1 Exploring and naming an economic development alternative; Part II: Conceptual issues and a new developmentalist agenda; 2 The market as means rather than master: The crisis of development and the future role of the state; 3 Hamlet without the Prince of Denmark: How development has disappeared from today's "development" discourse; 4 The economics of failed, failing, and fragile states: Productive structure as the missing link; Part III: Neo- liberal constraints on the policy agenda
5 The pernicious legacy of the rent-seeking paradigm6 Cementing neo-liberalism in the developing world: Ideational and institutional constraints on policy space; 7 Mobilizing public resources for a new development strategy in the age of globalization: The fiscal space dilemma in Latin America; 8 Investment treaties as a constraining framework; Part IV: Case studies in pro-active government; 9 Government reform and industrial development in China and Mexico; 10 Growth and development in Africa: Challenges and opportunities; Part V: Conclusion: Moving to alternatives
11 Climate-resilient industrial development paths: Design principles and alternative models12 Towards new developmentalism: Context, program, and constraints; Index
- "This book is the outcome of a conference held at Mount Holyoke College on 14-16 November 2008"--p. [xviii].
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Christiansen, Jens.
Khan, Shahrukh Rafi.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203844311 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|