The essence of Islamist extremism [electronic resource] : recognition through violence, freedom through death / Irm Haleem.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Routledge Studies in Political Islam
Routledge studies in political Islam ; 8
Routledge Studies in Political Islam
1 online resource (248 p.)
- Violence -- Religious aspects -- Islam.
Political violence -- Religious aspects -- Islam.
Islam and politics.
- Electronic books.
- This book provides a critical and a conceptual analysis of radical Islamist rhetoric drawn from temporally and contextually varied Islamist extremist groups, challenging the popular understanding of Islamist extremism as a product of a 'clash-of-civilizations'.Arguing that the essence of Islamist extremism can only be accurately understood by drawing a distinction between the radical Islamist explanations and justifications of violence, the author posits that despite the radical Islamist contextualization of violence within Islamic religious tenets, there is nothing conceptual
- Front Cover; The Essence of Islamist Extremism; Copyright Page; Contents; Preface; Acknowledgments; Preliminary note; Introduction; 1. Struggles for recognition and moral consequentialism; 2. Recognition through violence; 3. Self-transcendent recognition; 4. Violence as morality; 5. Essence, motivations, and flawed policies; Concluding remarks: Nothing Islamic about Islamist extremism; Appendix I: On essence; Appendix II: Virgins in heaven; Appendix III: Humanitarian interventions; Notes; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|