What are you reading? : the world market and Indian literary production / Pavithra Narayanan.
- Other Title:
- World market and Indian literary production
- New Delhi : Routledge, 2012.
1 online resource (326 p.)
- Book industries and trade -- India.
Anglo-Indian literature -- History and criticism.
Indic literature (English) -- History and criticism.
- Electronic books.
- This book offers a material critique on various aspects of Indian literary production and its reception by its audiences. Taking a historical and contemporary lineage into account, the author variously discusses the social, political, and economic factors that impact upon and determine choices in the publishing world. Examining the constructions of the archive of postcolonial works by Indian writers in relation to nationalist histories, language wars, and the relationship between economic policies and literature, the book forcefully argues that why we read what we read is more than c
- Cover; Half Title; Title Page; Copyright Page; Dedication; Table of Contents; Acknowledgements; Introduction: Literacy, Language and Literature; 1. Speaking in Tongues: The Politics of Language in India; 2. The Disease of Gigantism: Global Plans and Local Consequences; 3. Fit to Print: The Transnational Publishing Industry; 4. India Shining: Territories and Translation; Conclusion: Academic Imperialism; Bibliography; About the Author; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9781315815985 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|