The glory and the burden : the American presidency from FDR to Trump / Robert Schmuhl.
- Notre Dame, Indiana : University of Notre Dame Press 2019.
xviii, 181 pages ; 23 cm
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1933-1945.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1989.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1989-
Presidents -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Presidents -- United States -- History -- 21st century.
Executive power -- United States.
Presidents -- Term of office -- United States.
Press and politics -- United States.
Mass media -- Political aspects -- United States.
- "The Glory and the Burden: The American Presidency from FDR to Trump is a timely examination of the state of the American presidency and the forces that have shaped it over the past seventy-five years, with an emphasis on the dramatic changes that have taken place within the institution and to the individuals occupying the Oval Office. In this fascinating book, Robert Schmuhl traces the evolution of the modern presidency back to the terms of Franklin Roosevelt, maintaining that FDR's White House years had a profound impact on the office, resulting in significant changes to the job and to those who have performed it since. Specifically, the Twenty-Second Amendment to the Constitution, limiting a president to two terms, has largely redefined each administration's agenda. News sources and social media have also grown exponentially, exercising influence over the conduct of presidents and affecting the consequences of their behavior. Schmuhl examines the presidency as an institution and the presidents as individuals from several different perspectives. He identifies recent trends in the office and probes the relationship between the White House and various forms of contemporary media. This book is an engrossing read for a general audience, particularly those with an interest in politics, American history, journalism, and communications"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Schmuhl, Robert P., 1948- The glory and the burden
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|