Discourses of legitimation in the news : the case of the economic crisis in Greece / Vaia Doudaki and Angeliki Boubouka.
- Other Title:
- Case of the economic crisis in Greece
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.
- Routledge focus on journalism studies.
Routledge Focus on Journalism Studies
vi, 96 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Greece -- Economic conditions -- 2009- -- Press coverage.
Financial crises -- Press coverage -- Greece.
Mass media and public opinion -- Greece.
SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Media Studies.
Economic history -- Press coverage.
Mass media and public opinion.
- "Using news coverage of the economic crisis in Greece, this book develops a framework for identifying discourses of legitimation of political decisions and policies in the news. This study departs from the assumption that news is a privileged terrain where discursive struggles (over power) are represented and take place. Incorporating systematic analysis of news texts and journalistic practices, the model contextualises the analysis in its specific socio-political environment and examines legitimising discourse through the prism of the news. Ultimately the book recognises the active role played by journalists and media in legitimating economic crisis related policies and decisions, and how they help dominant actors establish and legitimate their authority, which in turn helps journalists legitimate their own role and authority. A concise, focused book which applies a strong theoretical and methodological framework, Discourse of Legitimation in the News is a strong contribution to the field for researchers and postgraduate students"-- Provided by publisher.
- The economic crisis in Greece: Short account of events and actors / Angeliki Boubouka
Media and representations of the economic crisis / Angeliki Boubouka and Vaia Doudaki
Discourses of legitimation in the news: Concepts and dimensions / Vaia Doudaki
Analysing discourse: Legitimation and its mechanisms in the Greek bailout news / Vaia Doudaki
Concluding reflections / Vaia Doudaki.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Boubouka, Angeliki, author.
- Other format:
- Online version: Doudaki, Vaia. Discourses of legitimation in the news.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|