The life of Washington : together with curious anecdotes equally honourable to himself & examplary to his young countrymen / by Mason L. Weems ; introduced by Henry Steele Commager and embellished with historical woodcuts by Robert Quackenbush.
- Standardized Title:
- Life of George Washington
- [Avon, Conn.] : Limited Editions Club, 1974. , ©1974
- Mount Vernon, N.Y. : Press of A. Colish
xvii, 230 pages, 9 unnumbered leaves of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Washington, George, 1732-1799.
United States. Continental Army -- Biography.
Washington, George, 1732-1799
United States. Continental Army
Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
Generals -- United States -- Biography.
- Local subjects:
- United States -- History -- Constitutional period, 1789-1809 -- Biography.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) Mount Vernon.
United States Connecticut Avon.
- Issued in 1808 under title, "The life of George Washington," an enlarged and revised edition of author's "The life and memorable actions of George Washington." Cf. Introduction (page vi), and number 475 (May 1974) of the Monthly letter of the Limited Editions Club.
"This edition ... was planned by Richard Ellis and composed under his supervision by W. Carlton Stremic in Philadelphia. Two thousand copies have been printed from type for the members of The Limited Editions Club at the Press of A. Colish, Mount Vernon, New York. The illustrations were cut in wood by Robert Quackenbush..."--Colophon
The type is "twelve point Monotype Modern 8A " "The paper is a soft rag stock, specially made for this edition at the Curtis Mill in Newark, Delaware. The edition is bound in a 100% American cotton printed with an allover colonial pattern. The title is stamped in pure gold leaf on a leather spine label"--number 475 (May 1974) of the Monthly letter of the Limited Editions Club.
Issued in slipcase.
"The special contents of this edition are copyright ©1974 by The Cardavon Press, Inc * Avon, Connecticut"--verso of title page.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Vilain-Wieck Collection of Private Presses copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2015.
Vilain-Wieck Collection copy is number 1103, signed by illustrator.
- Penn Provenance:
- Villain, Jean-Franc̜ois, 1942- (donor) (Vilain-Wieck Collection copy)
Wieck, Roger S. (donor) (Vilain-Wieck Collection copy)
Quackenbush, Robert, 1929- (autograph) (Vilain-Wieck Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Newman & Wiche. Great and good books, 475
Limited Editions Club. Bibliography of the fine books published by the Limited Editions Club, 1929-1985, no. 475
- Quackenbush, Robert, 1929- illustrator.
Ellis, Richard, book designer.
Stremic, W. Carlton. compositor.
Commager, Henry Steele, 1902-1998, author of introduction.
Weems, M. L. (Mason Locke), 1759-1825.
Limited Editions Club, publisher
A. Colish (Firm), printer.
Jean-Franc̜ois Vilain and Roger S. Wieck Collection of Private Presses, Ephemera, & Related References (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|