Ghost galleon : the discovery and archaeology of the San Juanillo on the shores of Baja California / Edward P. Von der Porten.
- First edition.
- College Station : Texas A & M University Press, 
- Ed Rachal Foundation nautical archaeology series
Ed Rachal Foundation nautical archaeology series
xii, 227 pages : illustrations, maps ; 29 cm
- Underwater archaeology -- Mexico -- Baja California (Peninsula).
Shipwrecks -- Mexico -- Baja California (Peninsula).
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Mexico -- Baja California (Peninsula).
Baja California (Mexico : Peninsula) -- Antiquities.
Galleons -- Phillipines -- Manila.
Mexico -- Baja California (Peninsula)
- "An inside view of how archaeologists, working like detectives at an ancient crime scene, carefully assemble the evidence that allows scientific reconstruction of events from the distant past. In a series of expeditions from 1999 to 2016, Von der Porten and his dedicated team, in association with the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH), assembled scores of artifacts, conducted countless hours of archival and other research, and finally concluded that they had located the buried remains of the cargo from the sixteenth century Manila galleon 'San Juanillo' on the shores of Baja California"--Provided by publisher.
Dreams of Asian riches
The first expedition
Understanding the ship
Back to the beaches
Widening the circle of scholars
New methods, many discoveries
The early Manila galleons
Many insights, strange byways
Following up, looking for breakthroughs
Steady work exposing the secrets
Trying conventional techniques
Stories from the porcelains
Steps forward, steps backward
Building the Manila galleons
Surprises and successes
Twenty years and still searching
The tragic voyage.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 217-220) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|