Consultation in psychology : a competency-based approach / edited by Carol A. Falender and Edward P. Shafranske.
- Washington, DC : American Psychological Association, 2020.
1 online resource (viii, 344 p.)
- Psychiatric consultation.
Mental health consultation.
- Medical subjects:
- Referral and Consultation
Psychotherapy -- methods
- "Consultation is a practice that plays an essential role in professional or health service psychology (HSP), particularly in integrated care and interprofessional collaboration and in the evolving practice environments within the public and private sectors of society. This book presents a comprehensive and competency-based approach to the practice of consultation. It provides a foundation for effective practice, emphasizing ethics, culture, and interprofessional practice in multiple consultation settings. Building on this foundation, the chapters focus on a variety of consultation settings, including medical, forensic, school, corporate, professional leadership, family, religious, police, and military contexts. The book will prepare graduate students, interns, postdoctoral fellows, and practicing psychologists to effectively and competently offer consultation in traditional and emerging areas of professional practice. It consists of two major parts: Foundations of Consultation Practice and Exemplars and Approaches, and it closes with a chapter discussing the future of consultation. The chapters in the Foundations section provide an overview of the process of consultation. Part II provides examples of consultation practice that span a range of contexts, such as medical, educational, and religious settings; forensics; custody evaluations; law enforcement; military; and the corporate environment. For the psychologist who already is engaged in consultation or is considering expanding practice opportunities, and for doctoral students, interns, or fellows who are embarking on their careers, this book provides a foundation for competency-based practice and offers illustrations of core principles and practices for consultation success."--Preface. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2019 APA, all rights reserved).
- I. Foundations of consultation practice
Consultation in psychology: A distinct professional practice
The competency framework: Best practices in consultation
Ethical, legal, and professional issues in consultation for psychologists
Consultation in health service psychology: The present and the future
Consultation in interprofessional practice and collaboration
Can you see me now? Understanding culture and multicultural phenomena as essential to the process of consultation
II. Exemplars and approaches
Consultation in medical settings
Consultation in leadership
Consultation in corporations and organizations
Consultation with religious professionals and institutions
Custody case family consultation
Consultation in police and public safety psychology
Consultation within the military setting
Afterword: Advancing consultation practice
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Washington, D.C. : American Psychological Association, 2019.
Description based on print version record.
- Falender, Carol A., editor.
Shafranske, Edward P., editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Consultation in psychology
- 9781433830907 (print ed.)
1433830906 (print ed.)
9781433831416 (electronic bk.)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|