Astronomical Polarisation from the Infrared to Gamma Rays / edited by Roberto Mignani, Andrew Shearer, Agnieszka Słowikowska, Silvia Zane.
- 1st ed. 2019.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- Physics and Astronomy (Springer-11651)
Astrophysics and space science library 0067-0057 ; 460
Astrophysics and Space Science Library, 0067-0057 ; 460
1 online resource (XXI, 393 pages) : 126 illustrations, 76 illustrations in color.
- Astronomy -- Observations.
- Local subjects:
- Astronomy, Observations and Techniques. (search)
Astrophysics and Astroparticles. (search)
Solar and Heliospheric Physics . (search)
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This book serves as both a primer to astronomical polarimetry and an authoritative overview of its application to various types of astronomical objects from AGN, compact stars, binary systems, stars across the HR diagram, transients, the interstellar medium and solar system bodies. It starts with an historical perspective, a discussion of polarimetric theory, instrumentation and techniques in wave bands from the near infrared to gamma rays. The book presents the state of the art in astronomical polarimetry. It is motivated by the new X-ray polarimeters due to be launched in the next four years and improved optical polarimeters on large telescopes requiring a new analysis of polarimetric theory, methodology and results.This book will be suitable as advanced undergraduate companion text, a primer for graduate students and all researchers with an interest in astronomical polarimetry.
- When Polarimetry Made History
Introduction to Polarisation and Polarimetry
Optical polarimetry: methods, instruments and calibration techniques
X-ray Polarimetry (instrument/techniques/calibration)
Polarimetric observations of the Sun
Spectropolarimetry of stars across the H-R diagram
Dust polarisation in the Interstellar Medium
Optical polarimetry of small Solar System bodies: from asteroids to debris disks
Polarimetry of binary systems: polars, magnetic CVs, XRBs
Multi-Wavelength Polarimetry of Isolated Pulsars
Polarimetry of Magnetars and Isolated Neutron Stars
Magnetic Fields in Gamma-Ray Bursts and their Polarised Emission
The panchromatic polarisation signatures of Active Galactic Nuclei.
- Mignani, Roberto, editor., Editor,
Shearer, Andrew, editor., Editor,
Słowikowska, Agnieszka. editor., Editor,
Zane, Silvia, editor., Editor,
SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-030-19715-5 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|