François Morellet / editors, Béatrice Gross with Stephen Hoban ; translators from the French, Daniel Levin Becker, Nicholas Huckle, Molly Stevens, and John Tittensor.
- New York, NY : Dia Art Foundation, 
- New Haven, CT : Distributed by Yale University Press
240 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm
- Morellet, François.
Morellet, François -- Exhibitions.
Morellet, François -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Some portions of text translated from the French.
- This in-depth exploration of celebrated French artist François Morellet (1926-2016) showcases his diverse oeuvre, famous for infusing systematic and rigorous experimentation with humor and playfulness. Morellet's interest in kinetic and optical effects spurred work that engages viewers' perception and participation, ensuring an element of chance within his predetermined systems and challenging the convention of the artistic genius. This book features new scholarship by an international group of renowned art historians and curators. Essays explore topics such as the conceptual stakes of Morellet's practice, the influence of Brazilian geometric abstraction and the Islamic decorative tradition, and the role of humor in his work. Also included is an extensive selection of previously untranslated writings by the artist himself. With striking new photography of the artworks-such as Morellet's geometric paintings, neon works, and architectural interventions-this is the definitive book on a fascinating, multifaceted artist.
- Against the tyranny of seriousness : François Morellet's versatile geometry / Béatrice Gross
The rigorous absurd / Yve-Alain Bois, Benjamin H. D. Buchloh, and Béatrice Gross in conversation
François Morellet's concrete art of the 1950s / Alexander Alberro
The mystery of the Alhambra : All-over upside down / Morad Montazami
Six heads are better than one / Valerie Hillings
Lamentable / Erik Verhagen
99 preparatory notes to the work of François Morellet / Daniel Levin Becker
François Morellet / Dia:Chelsea and Dia:Beacon.
- Catalog of an exhibition presented as a temporary installation at Dia:Chelsea, New York, New York, October 28, 2017 to June 2, 2018, and, as a long-term installation at Dia:Beacon, Beacon, New York.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Gross, Béatrice, editor.
Hoban, Stephen, editor.
Levin Becker, Daniel, translator.
Huckle, Nicholas, translator.
Stevens, Molly (Translator) translator.
Tittensor, John, 1941- translator.
Dia Art Foundation, issuing body.
Dia:Beacon (Art museum), host institution.
Dia:Chelsea (Art museum), host institution.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|