Scribes and their remains / edited by Craig A. Evans and Jeremiah J. Johnston.
- London ; New York : T&T Clark, 2020. , ©2020
- Library of Second Temple studies; 94.
Studies in scripture in early Judaism and Christianity; 21.
Library of Second Temple studies ; 94
Studies in scripture in early Judaism and Christianity ; 21
xv, 320 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Bible. New Testament. -- Manuscripts.
Bible. New Testament..
- Scribes and Their Remains begins with an introductory essay by Stanley Porter which addresses the principal theme of the book: the text as artifact. The rest of the volume is then split into two major sections. In the first, five studies appear on the theme of 'Scribes, Letters, and Literacy.' In the first of these Craig A. Evans offers a lengthy piece that argues that the archaeological, artifactual, and historical evidence suggests that New Testament autographs and first copies may well have remained in circulation for one century or more, having the effect of stabilizing the text. Other pieces in the section address literacy, orality and paleography of early Christian papyri. In the second section there are five pieces on 'Writing, Reading, and Abbreviating Christian Scripture.' These range across numerous topics, including an examination of the stauros (cross) as a nomen sacrum. The volume concludes with reflections by co-editor Peter Arzt-Grabner incorporating his longstanding expertise in the study of documentary papyri, especially as these ancient documents relate to New Testament research. From the perspective of a papyrologist, Arzt-Grabner discusses how New Testament scholars use documentary papyri today and recommends some future directions. --From publisher's description.
- Introducing scribes and their remains / Craig A. Evans and Jeremiah J. Johnston
Text as artifact : an introduction / Stanley E. Porter
Longevity of late antique autographs and first copies : a postscriptum / Craig A. Evans
Greek writ plain : village scribes, Q, and the palaeography of the earliest Christian papyri / Gregg Schwendner
My Lord and protector : papyri and skepē patronage in Sirach and 3 Maccabees / Christopher J. Cornthwaite
Hilarion's letter to his wife, child exposure, and early Christianity / Jeremiah J. Johnston
Fetishizing the word : literacy, orality, and the Dead Sea Scrolls / Ian C. Werrett
Signed with an "X" : Σταθρός and the staurogram among the nomina sacra / Benjamin R. Overcash
New light from the papyri : the sacred background of βίβλος in Matthew 1:1 / Michael P. Theophilos
The early papyri, "gospel-parallel" variants, and the text of the New Testament in the second century / Roy D. Kotansky
Terms of kinship from usage in everyday language to official Christian life / Eleonora Angela Conti
Early Christian rolls / Marco Stroppa.
- "Library of Second Temple studies, formerly Journal for the study of pseudepigrapha supplement series."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Evans, Craig A., editor.
Johnston, Jeremiah, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|