Britain and Africa in the twenty-first century : between ambition and pragmatism / edited by Danielle Beswick, Jonathan Fisher and Stephen R. Hurt.
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2019.
xiv, 229 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Africa.
Africa -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1997-2007.
Politics and government.
- Britain and Africa in the twenty-first century provides the first analysis of UK-Africa policy in the era of austerity, Conservative government and Brexit. It explores how Britain's relationship with Africa has evolved since the days of Blair, Brown and "Make Poverty History" and examines how a changing UK political environment, and international context, has impacted upon this longstanding - and deeply complex - relationship. This edited collection includes contributions from leading UK- and Africa-based scholars, as well as from Chatham House's Africa Programme Head and the Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Africa. Examining trade, security, aid and peacekeeping, as well as the role of political parties, advocacy groups and the UK population itself, Britain and Africa provides an indispensable reference point for researchers and practitioners interested in contemporary UK-Africa relations and the place of Africa in British foreign policy.
- Introduction: UK Africa policy in the twenty-first century : business as usual? / Danielle Beswick, Jonathan Fisher and Stephen R. Hurt
Part I: Africa in UK international relations : trade, aid, adevelopment and security. The evolution of UK policy to Sub-Saharan Africa, 1997-2019 / Alex Vines ; Africa's trade with Brexit Britain : neo-colonialism encounters regionalism? / Mark Langan ; The UK and African relations : construction of the African Union's peace and security structures / Kasaija Phillip Apuuli ; The securitisation of UK aid and DFID programmes in Africa : a comparative case study of Cameroon, Central African Republic, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda / Ivica Petrikova and Melita Lazell ; The UK and peacekeeping operations on the African continent / David Curran
Part II: Africa and UK actors : parties, publics and civil society. Rehabilitating the 'nasty party'? : the Conservative Party and Africa from opposition to government / Danielle Beswick ; Labour, international development and Africa : policy rethinking in opposition / William Brown ; The mixed fortunes of African development campaigning under austerity and the Conservatives / Graham Harrison ; British campaigns for African development : the Trade Justice Movement / Stephen R. Hurt ; International development NGOs, representations in fundraising appeals and public attitudes in UK-Africa relations / Danielle Beswick, Nheer Dasandi, David Hudson and Jennifer vanHeerde-Hudson
Conclusions : aspects of continuity and change after New Labour / Danielle Beswick, Jonathan Fisher and Stephen R. Hurt.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Beswick, Danielle, editor.
Fisher, Jonathan, 1985- editor.
Hurt, Stephen R., editor.
- Other format:
- ebook version :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|