Controversial James : an essay on the life and work of George Wharton James / Roger Keith Larson.
- First edition.
- San Francisco : The Book Club of California, 1991.
- Covelo, California : [P]rinted ... at The Yolla Bolly Press.
- Publication (Book Club of California); no. 195.
Book Club of California. Publication ; 195
xii, 98,  pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, facsimiles, portraits ; 26 cm
- James, George Wharton, 1858-1923.
Authors, American -- Southwest, New -- Biography.
Historians -- United States -- Biography.
Indians of North America -- Southwest, New.
California -- Historiography.
Southwest, New -- Historiography.
Indians of North America.
Private press books (Printing)
Printing in multiple colors (Printing)
Limitation statements (Publishing)
Machine-made papers (Paper)
Typefaces (Type evidence) -- Janson.
Publishers' cloth bindings (Binding)
- Place of Publication:
- United States California San Francisco.
United States California Covelo.
- The biography of George Wharton James who collected Indian art, wrote on California and California writers, and promoted California and its wonders.
- Foreword / Lawrence Clark Powell
Roots in English Methodism
Missionary to the Wild West
Fall from grace, into the depths
Out of the depths, into the lecture hall
Return to the West
Author and lecturer
Books and more books
Apologies and acknowledgements
An annotated bibliography.
- Publisher's name appears before place of publication in imprint.
"This first edition of Controversial James : An essay on the life and work of George Wharton James was designed and printed in an edition of 400 copies at The Yolla Bolly Press, Covelo, California. The typeface is Linotype Janson set by the Anchor & Acorn Press, Petaluma. The papers are Mohawk Superfine and Karma Natural. Duotone photographs were printed at Phelps/Schaefer Litho-Graphics Co., Inc., San Francisco. The book was bound by Cardoza-James Binding Co., San Francisco. Published June 1991."--Colophon.
"Title in tan and black. Eighteen plates of photographs, not included in pagination. Reproductions of drawings by Carl Eytel from James’s The Wonders of the Colorado Desert throughout text. Type Janson linotype. Paper machine made."--Book Club of California.
Binding: full maroon cloth; decoration stamped in gold on left board; pink endpapers; housed in maroon cardboard slip case with white paper spine label ("Controversial James Larson") printed in brown.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 89-99).
- Local notes:
- Vilain-Wieck Collection copy has manuscript note ("C1241 NOO") in pencil on front free endpaper.
Kislak Center Vilain-Wieck Collection of Private Presses copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2017.
Vilain-Wieck Collection copy has illustrated bookplate of Roger K. Larson with manuscript note ("Author's copy") in pencil on front pastedown.
Vilain-Wieck Collection copy: slip case retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Vilain, Jean-François, 1942- (donor) (Vilain-Wieck Collection copy)
Wieck, Roger S. (donor) (Vilain-Wieck Collection copy)
Larson, Roger Keith, 1924- (bookplate) (Vilain-Wieck Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Book Club of California. The two hundredth book http://www.bccbooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/BCCvol2-The-Two-Hundredth-Book.pdf 195 (page 52)
- Eytel, Carl, 1862-1925, illustrator.
Book Club of California, publisher.
Yolla Bolly Press, printer.
Anchor & Acorn Press, compositor.
Mohawk Paper Mills (Cohoes, N.Y.), papermaker.
Potlatch Corporation, papermaker.
Phelps-Schaefer Lithographics, printer.
Cardoza-James Binding Company, binder.
Jean-François Vilain and Roger S. Wieck Collection of Private Presses, Ephemera, & Related References (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|