2 girls / a film by Federico Schiavi and Marco Speroni ; directed by Marco Speroni.
- Other Title:
- Academic Video Online.
- Florence, Tuscany : Berta Films, 2016.
1 online resource (52 minutes)
- Young women -- Bangladesh.
Young women -- Ethiopia.
Abused women -- Ethiopia.
Homeless women -- Ethiopia -- Addis Ababa.
Prostitutes -- Ethiopia -- Addis Ababa.
Poverty -- Bangladesh.
Poverty -- Ethiopia.
Ethiopia -- Economic conditions.
Ethiopia -- Social conditions.
Bangladesh -- Economic conditions.
Bangladesh -- Social conditions.
- Documentary films.
- In Amharic and Bengali with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- video file
- Lota comes from the poor rural area of Bangladesh and dreams to improve her status and gain economic independency. She moves to the megacity of Dhaka, finds shelter in a slum and starts to work in a garment factory. She works 12 hours a day, earning 50 cents of a dollar per hour. Tigist, an Ethiopian girl, was meant to have more privileged life. She was born in a family of two teachers, but after both her parents died in a car crash, she became a victim of abuse by her relatives. Escaping from a situation of enslavement, Tigist ends up on the streets of Addis Ababa. Without a place to sleep or anyone to call for, she is quickly surrounded by predators and has to fight for her surivival. 2 Girls is a character-driven and observational documentary about two young women who are linked to each other through a universal journey of poverty and abuse for the sake of dreaming a better life. It's a heartbreakingly harsh journey, where Lota and Tigist meet their hopes and destinies. Yet, despite their tough lives, they reveal an inner strength and great dignity. They come from poverty, they fall into even worse conditions, but they never stop striving to improve their state. Overwhelmed by global injustice and gender-oriented abuse, Lota and Tigist manage to keep their souls uncorrupted by the wrongdoings they face. The story of 2 Girls is a story lived every day by millions of girls all around the world but rarely has it been told with the same power of testimony than in this documentary.
- Title from resource description page (viewed November 06, 2019).
Won 2016 Tiburon International Film Festival, Golden Reel Award - Best Documentary
Nominated 2016 RIFF - Roma Independent Film Festival, RIFF Award - Best Italian Documentary
Won 2016 HumanDoc Film Festival, Grand Prix Award - Best Foreign Documentary
- Speroni, Marco, director, producer.
Schiavi, Federico, producer.
Berta Films, film distributor.
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|