Deconstructing ergativity : two types of ergative languages and their featuresty / Maria Polinsky.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Oxford studies in comparative syntax.
Oxford Studies in Comparative Syntax
1 online resource (417 p.)
- Grammar, Comparative and general -- Ergative constructions.
- Electronic books.
- Building upon theoretical innovations and extensive empirical findings, this book explains variation in the syntactic behavior of ergative arguments across languages. It offers a new analysis of ergativity by recognizing two distinct types, PP-ergative- and DP-ergative-languages. Each type is characterized by a set of correlated features which result in structural consistency.
- Cover ; Series ; Deconstructing Ergativity ; Copyright ; Dedication ; Contents ; Preface ; Abbreviations ; Part I: Two types of ergatives ; 1 Introduction ; 1.1 Setting the stage ; 1.2 Syntactic ergativity ; 1.2.1 The phenomenon ; 1.2.2 The range of the phenomenon
1.2.3 The relevance of syntactic ergativity 1.3 The importance of starting small ; 1.3.1 Syntactic ergativity broadly defined ; 1.3.2 Not all A-.bar movement phenomena are created equal ; 1.3.3 Some methodological odds and ends
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|