Freud's India : Sigmund Freud and India's first psychoanalyst Girindrasekhar Bose / Alf Hiltebeitel.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2018.
1 online resource (329 pages)
- Bose, Girindrashekhar, -1953 -- Correspondence.
Freud, Sigmund, 1856-1939 -- Correspondence.
Psychoanalysts -- Austria -- Correspondence.
Psychoanalysts -- India -- Correspondence.
- Electronic books.
- This first three chapters of this text documents the ups and downs in the conflictual correspondence between Sigmund Freud and India's first psychoanalyst, Girindrasekhar Bose. They trace the relationship through three phases of their 1920-1937 correspondence, and also compare their correspondence with Freud's contemporary correspondence with Romain Rolland, noting similar disaffections while documenting in both exchanges Freud's evasions about India. The middle three chapters each treat a concept by which Bose sought to challenge Freud, producing conflicts between tham that had a much richer content than either of them realized or cared to elaborate upon. New answers to two questions are posed: why Bose never wrote an article for Freud on his signature concept of 'opposite wishes,' the topic of chapter 4; and why Bose chose an icon of Visnu for Freud's 75th birthday gift rather than a Bengali goddess.
- Machine generated contents note:
List of Figures
1. Introduction: Beginnings of Tension and Drama in the Freud-Bose Correspondence
2. Restoration of the Bose-Freud Correspondence: Light Shed on its First Two Phases from Freud's 1923-37 Correspondence with Romain Rolland, and a Missed Chance to Compare Views on the Preoedipal
3. Unraveling of the Bose-Freud Correspondence, with More Light Shed
from the Freud-Rolland Correspondence and from Freud's 1933-34 Work with H. D.
4. Opposite Wishes
5. Freud, Bose, and the 'Maternal Deity'
6. The Oedipus Mother
7. The Party, the Guests, and Why Visnu Ananta-Deva
8. Thinking Goddesses, Mothers, Brothers, and Snakes with Freud and Bose
9. The Oceanic Goddess in the Gift to Freud
- Previously issued in print: 2018.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|