God and progress : religion and history in British intellectual culture, 1845-1914 / Joshua Bennett.
- New product edition.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Oxford historical monographs.
Oxford scholarship online.
Oxford historical monographs
Oxford scholarship online
1 online resource (324 pages)
- Intellectual life -- Religious aspects.
Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
- Electronic books.
- Exploring the rich relationship between historical thought and religious debate in Victorian culture, 'God and Progress' offers a unique and authoritative account of intellectual change in 19th-century Britain. The volume recovers a twofold process in which the growth of progressive ideas of history transformed British Protestant traditions, as religious debate, in turn, profoundly shaped Victorian ideas of history. It adopts a remarkably wide contextual perspective, embracing believers and unbelievers, Anglicans and nonconformists, and writers from different parts of the British Isles, fully situating British debates in relation to their European and especially German Idealist surroundings.
- Description based on print version record.
This edition previously issued in print: 2019.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|