The people of the eye [electronic resource] : deaf ethnicity and ancestry / Harlan Lane, Richard Pillard, Ulf Hedberg.
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- The people of the eye
1 online resource (292 p.)
- Deaf -- United States -- History.
Deafness -- Social aspects -- United States.
- Electronic books.
- What are ethnic groups? Are Deaf people who sign American Sign Language (ASL) an ethnic group? This book brings Deaf studies, history, cultural anthropology, genetics, sociology, and disability studies to bear as it compares the values, customs and social organization of the Deaf world to those in ethnic groups.
- Ethnicity and the deaf-world. Cultural cohesive forces ; Ethnic boundaries ; Yes, but
Deaf ancestry: Henniker, NH, and Martha's Vineyard, MA. Context: settling the new world ; The Brown family of Henniker, NH ; Martha's vineyard ; Assimilating and differentiating societies
Deaf ancestry in Maine: northern cluster. Migration from Martha's Vineyard to Maine ; Other settlers in the northern cluster
Deaf ancestry in Maine: southern cluster. Southern cluster
Deaf ancestry: summary and reflections.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed Jan. 11, 2011).
- Pillard, Richard.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|