Sacred groves and local gods [electronic resource] : religion and environmentalism in South India / Eliza F. Kent.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2013.
1 online resource (251 p.)
- Sacred groves -- India -- Tamil Nadu.
Forest conservation -- Social aspects -- India -- Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu (India) -- Religious life and customs.
- Electronic books.
- Drawing on fieldwork conducted in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu over seven years, Eliza F. Kent offers a compelling examination of the religious and social context in which south India's sacred groves take on meaning for the villagers who maintain them, and shows how they have become objects of fascination and hope for Indian environmentalists.
- Cover; Contents; Acknowledgments; Note on Transliteration; Regional Map of South India; Introduction: Sacred Groves and Local Gods: Religious Environmentalism in South India; 1. Fierce Gods and Dense Forest: Sacred Groves near Madurai; 2. A Road Runs Through It: Changing Meanings in Malaiyali Sacred Groves in Tiruvannamalai District; 3. Mixing Botany and Belief: Guardian Deities and Their Forests in the Pondicherry Region; 4. Soteriology and Stakeholders: The Greening of the Auroville Plateau, 1973-2007; 5. Sacrifice and Sacrality: Sacred Grove Restoration Projects near Chennai; Afterword
NotesBibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; V; W
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -221) and index.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on Apr. 5, 2013).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|