Gregorius [electronic resource] : an incestuous saint in medieval Europe and beyond / Brian Murdoch.
- 1st ed.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
1 online resource (285 p.)
- Hartmann, von Aue, 12th cent. Gregorius -- Sources.
Gregorius (Legendary character) -- Romances -- History and criticism.
Legends -- Europe.
- Electronic books.
- The story of the apocryphal pope and saint, Gregorius was extremely popular throughout the Middle Ages and later in Europe and beyond. This book traces the story from its English or French origins through its many variations from Iceland to Egypt and from the 12th to the 21st century.
- Cover; Contents; Note to Reader; 1. Hystoria Rara, sed Graciosa; 2. France and England: Saint Grégoire and Seynt Gregory; 3. Germany: Hartmann's Gregorius and the Latin Poems; 4. A European Prose Tradition: Hagiography, Exempla, and the Gesta Romanorum; 5. Degenerations: Chap-Books, Plays, Late Legends, and Folktales; 6. From the Romantics to Thomas Mann and Beyond; 7. Invisible Sin; Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; V; W; Y; Z
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|