'Writing the lives of painters' [electronic resource] : biography and artistic identity in Britain, 1760-1810 / Karen Junod.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Oxford English monographs.
Oxford English monographs
1 online resource (271 p.)
- Art and literature -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
Art and literature -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Biography as a literary form.
- Electronic books.
- This book explores the development of artists' biographies in the cultural context of 18th- and early 19th-century Britain. It argues that the proliferation of a myriad biographical forms mirrored the privileging of artistic originality and difference within an art world that had yet to generate a coherent 'British School' of painting.
- Contexts. biography vs. literature, art, and criticism
Series of lives. Horace Walpole's Anecdotes of painting in England (1762-1780) ; William Beckford's Biographical memoirs of extraordinary painters (1780)
Individual lives. William Hogarth : the art of biography and the life of anecdotes ; Thomas Gainsborough : life in a sketch, sketch of a life ; George Morland : natural art, fictional life, and factual biography ; John Opie : domesticity, publicity, and gender.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (viewed on May 11, 2011).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|