The Chinatown war [electronic resource] : Chinese Los Angeles and the Massacre of 1871 / Scott Zesch.
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, c2012.
1 online resource (298 p.)
- Chinese Americans -- California -- Los Angeles -- History -- 19th century.
Chinese Americans -- Crimes against -- California -- Los Angeles -- History -- 19th century.
Race riots -- California -- Los Angeles -- History -- 19th century.
Lynching -- California -- Los Angeles -- History -- 19th century.
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Ethnic relations -- History -- 19th century.
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- History -- 19th century.
- Electronic books.
- In October 1871, a simmering, small-scale turf war involving three Chinese gangs exploded into a riot that engulfed the small but growing town of Los Angeles. A large mob of white Angelenos, spurred by racial resentment, rampaged through the city and lynched some 18 people before order was restored.In The Chinatown War, Scott Zesch offers a compelling account of this little-known event, which ranks among the worst hate crimes in American history. The story begins in the 1850s, when the first wave of Chinese immigrants arrived in Los Angeles in the wake of the 1849 California gold rush. Upon ar
- Cover; Contents; Prologue; PART I: GUM SAAN; 1. Let Them Come and Settle with Us; 2. The Toughest Town of the Entire Nation; 3. The Companies, the Tongs, and the Law; 4. Daughters of the Sun and Moon; 5. "Us" and "Them"; PART II: STRIFE BEGETS STRIFE; 6. Hating Each Other Like Christians; 7. The Night of Horrors; 8. The Aftermath; 9. Shouldering the Responsibility; 10. We May Hope to See at Least Partial Justice Done; 11. It Will Be Forgotten in a Brief Time; Acknowledgments; A Note on the Sources; Endnotes; Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|