Interpersonal relationships and health : social and clinical psychological mechanisms / edited by Christopher R. Agnew and Susan C. South.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Conference Name:
- Purdue Symposium on Psychological Sciences (3rd : 2012 : Purdue University)
1 online resource (305 p.)
Emotions -- Social aspects.
Health -- Psychological aspects.
- Electronic books.
- Gathering leading thinkers in social and clinical psychology, public health, medicine, and sociology, Interpersonal Relationships and Health considers theoretical and empirical issues relevant to understanding the social and clinical psychological mechanisms linking close relationship processes with mental and physical health outcomes. The volume arises out of a recent explosion of interest, across multiple academic and research fields, in the ways that interpersonal relationships affect health and well-being. This volume pulls together a range of scholars who focus on different aspects of relationships and health in order to encourage both collaboration and cross-disciplinary initiatives. This is the first edited volume to pull together noted experts across myriad disciplines whose research is at the intersection of human relationships and health. Topics addressed include key biological processes that influence and, in turn, are influenced by close relationships. Interpersonal Relationships and Health presents research that demonstrates the connections between interpersonal relationships, mental and physical health outcomes, and biophysical markers that figure prominently in the fields of psychoneuroimmunology, endocrinology, and cardiology. In addition, it highlights recent work on marital, family, and social relationships and their interplay with health and well-being. Chapters also address sexual health among young and older adults, as well as clinical intervention efforts that focus on the role of relational factors in influencing health. Each chapter highlights extant theoretical and empirical findings and suggests future avenues for research in this burgeoning area.
- "3rd Purdue Symposium on Psychological Sciences."--Title page.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Agnew, Christopher Rolfe, editor.
South, Susan C., editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|