The gunslingers of '69 : Western movies' greatest year / Brian Hannan.
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 
viii, 300 pages ; 26 cm
- Western films -- History and criticism.
Motion pictures -- History -- 20th century.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "In 1969-the counter-cultural moment when Easy Rider triggered a "youthquake" in audience interests-Westerns proved more dominant than ever at the box office and at the Oscars. It was a year of masterpieces-The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Once Upon a Time in the West and True Grit. Robert Redford achieved star status. Old stagers like John Wayne, Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum appeared in two Westerns apiece. Raquel Welch took on the mantle of Queen of the West. Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin tried their hand at a musical (Paint Your Wagon). New directors like George Roy Hill reinvigorated the genre while veteran Sam Peckinpah at last found popular approval. Themes included women's rights, social anxieties about violence and changing attitudes of and towards African-Americans and Native Americans. All of the 40-plus Westerns released in the U.S. in 1969 are here covered in depth, offering a new perspective the genre"-- Provided by publisher.
- The sound of silence : The stalking moon
Controversy runs wild : 100 rifles
The cleverest lawman in the West : Support your local sheriff
Kill the messenger : Heaven with a gun and Smith!
Western as opera : Once upon a time in the West
The roadshow that never was : Mackenna's gold
retread of a retread : Guns of the Magnificent Seven
Tough rider : True grit
Bloody to the bone : The wild bunch
The good, the bad and the Burt : Young Billy Young, The good guys and the bad guys
One step ahead of the audience : Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
A roadshow too far : Paint your wagon
Pedigree is not enough : The undefeated
Cause célèbre : Tell them Willie Boy is here
Reissue fever : A fistful of dollars, For a few dollars more, The good, the bad and the ugly, Hang 'em high, Return of the Seven, The stranger, The stranger returns
The last round up : The great bank robbery, The desperados, Death of a gunfighter, A talent for loving, Charro, A time for dying, Sam Whiskey, A man called Gannon, Journey to Shiloh, Death rides a horse, Day of anger, A bullet for the general, God forgives...I don't, The brute and the beast, The man from nowhere, Ace high, Any gun can play, Payment in blood, More dead than alive, The ramrodder, Brand of shame, Hot spur.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|