Migration, gender and home economics in rural North India / Dinesh K. Nauriyal, Nalin Singh Negi and Rahul K. Gairola.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.
xxi, 238 pages ; 25 cm
- Immigrants -- India.
Emigration and immigration.
Rural-urban migration -- India.
Agricultural industries -- India.
India -- Rural conditions.
- "This book critically examines the socio-economic impacts of out-migration on households and gender dynamics in rural northern India. The first of its kind, this study unearths, through detailed regional and demographical research, the ways in which economic and migratory trends of male family members in rural India in general, and hilly regions of Garhwal in particular, affect the wives, children, extended families, and agricultural lands that they have left behind. It offers vital research in how rural India's socio-economic formations and topographic characteristics can today more effectively contribute to the national and global economy with respect to migratory trends, gender dynamics, and home life. Furthermore, it investigates the collapse of agricultural and many other traditional economic activities without a corresponding creation of fresh economic opportunities. This volume moreover elucidates how male out-migration from rural to urban centres has greatly re-shaped kinship and economic structures at places of origin and consequently had a serious impact on the socio-psychological well- being of family members This volume will be of great value to scholars and researchers of development economics, agricultural economics, environment studies, sociology, social anthropology, population studies, gender and women's studies, social psychology, migration and diaspora studies, South Asian studies, and behavioral studies"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Negi, Nalin Singh, author.
Gairola, Rahul K., 1974- author.
- Other format:
- Online version: Nauriyal, Dinesh K., Migration, gender and home economics in rural north india
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|