Rise up singing : Black women writers on motherhood / edited by Cecelie S. Berry.
- Other Title:
- Black women writers on motherhood
- First Harlem Moon trade paperback edition
- New York : Published by Harlem Moon, an imprint of Broadway Books, 2004.
 ,290,  pages ; 21 cm
- Mothers -- Literary collections.
Motherhood -- Literary collections.
Mother and child -- Literary collections.
African American women -- Literary collections.
American literature -- African American authors.
African American women authors -- Biography.
Women and literature -- United States.
American literature -- Women authors.
Mother and child -- United States.
African American women.
African American women authors.
Mother and child.
Women and literature.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Section I. Aria of the Matriarch Our grandmothers / Maya Angelou. Ernestine: a granddaughter's memories / Jewell Parker Rhodes. My daughters and me / Faith Ringgold. Margaret: a mother for all seasons / Jewelle Taylor Gibbs. Every day use / Alice Walker. Nineteen thirty-seven / Edwidge Danticat
Section II. Dream Song: A Mother's Interior World. Daystar / Rita Dove. Mother / Andrea Lee. Slip and fall / Cecelie S. Berry. An unnatural woman / Martha Southgate. When wild southern women raise daughters / Evelyn Coleman. Unmasking step-motherhood / Deborah Roberts. The complex mathematics of mothering / AJ Verdelle. Goin' round the bend / Melba Newsome
Section III. Torch Song for Mother and Child. the lost baby poem / Lucille Clifton. Many rivers to cross / June Jordan. Mother, unconceived / Erin Aubry Kaplan. Good night moon / Felicia Ward. Mother's house / Tananarive Due. Linda Devine's daughters / Carolyn Ferrell
Section IV. The Round: Rowing Gently Down the Stream. from "The children of the poor," verse 6 / Gwendolyn Brooks. Dancer of the world / Patricia Smith. A miracle every day / Marita Golden. Elementary lessons / Rita Coburn Whack. My girl / Bethany M. Allen. Welcome to the world / Dawn Turner Trice. Too blessed to be stressed / Reverend Dr. Suzan D. Johnson Cook. A new balance / Florence Ladd. Journeys / Maxine Clair.
- "First Halem Moon trade paperback edition published 2004."
Originally published in hardcover in 2004 by Doubleday, a division of Random House ..."
"Book design by Gretchen Achilles."
Foreword by Marian Wright Edelman (pages 1-3).
"Cover design by Nneka Bennett. Cover image of Grandmother, Mother, and Girl by Michael Krasowitz/ Taxi
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Berry, Cecelie S., editor.
Edelman, Marian Wright, writer of foreword.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|