Between us and Abuela : a family story from the border / Mitali Perkins ; illustrations by Sara Palacios.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Farrar Straus Giroux Books for Young Readers, 2019.
1 volume (unpaged) : color illustrations ; 23 x 29 cm
- Gifts -- Juvenile fiction.
Grandmothers -- Juvenile fiction.
Brothers and sisters -- Juvenile fiction.
Mexican Americans -- Juvenile fiction.
North America -- Mexican-American Border Region.
- Childrens subjects:
- Gifts -- Fiction.
Grandmothers -- Fiction.
Brothers and sisters -- Fiction.
Mexican Americans -- Fiction.
Christmas stories -- Fiction.
- Picture books for children.
Children's stories -- Pictorial works.
- It's nearly Christmas in California. María and her little brother, Juan, are headed south to the border with Mexico to visit their grandmother. They are excited to celebrate Las Posadas with her, honoring Mary and Joseph's journey to the inn at Bethlehem. María has knitted Abuela a scarf, and Juan has drawn her a picture. But when Juan's gift won't fit through the tiny spaces in the border fence - barely big enough for little fingers to touch - María launches a cunning plan, using creativity and hope. Mitali Perkins's debut picture book offers the best kind of Christmas story - one of love, family, travel, and miracles - with simple language and abundant feeling, Pura Belpré Honor illustrator Sara Palacios illuminates the heart of this story with her sun-soaked vistas and warm, smiling faces of excited families. Here is the perfect tribute to how little gifts of love can span great distances. -- From dust jacket.
When Maria, Juan, and their mother go to the border between California and Mexico to visit their grandmother at Christmas, Maria must devise a way to get Juan's gift over the fence.-- Provided by Publisher.
- Américas Award, Winner, 2020
- Palacios, Sara, illustrator.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|