Art, anthropology, and contested heritage : ethnographies of TRACES / edited by Arnd Schneider.
- London ; New York : Bloomsbury Academic, 2020.
xvi, 190 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Refugees as artists -- European Union countries.
Arts and society -- European Union countries -- Case studies.
Art and anthropology -- European Union countries -- Case studies.
Ethnology -- European Union countries -- Case studies.
Cultural property -- European Union countries.
Group identity -- European Union countries.
European Union countries -- Cultural policy.
Art and anthropology.
Arts and society.
Refugees as artists.
European Union countries.
- Case studies.
- "This book presents innovative and creative ethnographic perspectives on the intersection between art, anthropology, and contested cultural heritage resulting from ethnographic and artistic research by the TRACES project (an interdisciplinary research project funded by the EU's Horizon 2020 programme involving a collaboration between institutional partners in 11 European countries). The case studies in this volume critically assess and evaluate how and in which arrangements artistic/aesthetic methods and creative everyday practices contribute to strengthening communities both culturally and economically. They also explore the extent to which these methods emphasize minority voices and ultimately set in motion a process of reflexive Europeanisation from below which unfolds within Europe and beyond its borders. At the heart of these ethnographic case studies is the development of a new way of transmitting contentious cultural heritage, which responds to the present situation in Europe of unstable political conditions and a sense of Europe in crisis. With chapters looking at difficult art exhibitions on colonialism, death masks, Holocaust memorials and skull collections, the contributors articulate a response to the crisis in current economic-political conditions in Europe and advances brand new theoretical groundwork on the configuration of a renewed European identity. Through combining studies of heritage within museums, this volume will appeal to students and scholars of anthropology, heritage and museum studies, and visual culture"-- Provided by publisher.
- Working with TRACES / Arnd Schneider
The scattered colonial body : serendipity and neglected heritage in the heart of Rome / Arnd Schneider
The palm, the couscous, the face / Leone Contini
Research on research on research : on reflexive relationality / Matei Bellu
A discussion between Razvan Anton and Julie Dawson, CCP1 in media, Romania / Razvan Anton, Julie Dawson, and Matei Bellu
An ethnography of process : following the realization of the Awkward Objects of Genocide project / Katarzyna Maniak
Awkward Objects of Genocide project : difficult encounters with Holocaust folk art : hybrid record of research and exhibition planning / Roma Sendyka, Erica Lehrer, Wojciech Wilczyk, Magdalena Zych
From something to nothing : a peculiar ethnography of a peculiar art-project / Blaž Bajic
Casting of death / Domestic Research Society
Dead images : multivocal engagements with human remains / Aglaja Kempinski
Disposing of dead images : reflections on contentious heritage as toxic waste / John Harries with Tal Alder and Aglaja Kempinski
Participatory approaches to places of unresolved heritage : working with the communities of Long Kesh/Maze / Laura McAtackney
Dispersed presence : Long Kesh/Maze prison, its artefacts as catalysts of testimony / Martin Krenn, Aisling O'Beirn.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Schneider, Arnd, 1960- editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Art, anthropology, and contested heritage.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|